Sunday, May 26, 2013

Living the Life


Boom. Just like that, week one of newsy fun-over and done with.

This week is one that I will remember forever. I had to put on my big girl pants and venture into the city on the train alone for the first time on Monday. It was the first day of my internship, and oddly I wasn’t that nervous at all (probably because I had about 900 things to remember to do correctly in order to get myself to FOX29). Instead, I was super excited to get started.

I met my supervisor and my web department supervisor, who are both so nice and easy-going. Right away, I was meeting the friendly faces that make up the FOX29 news team- and I even met an intern that goes to school in upstate like me, so that immediately made me feel at ease.

Throughout the week since the first day, I was briefed on all of the programs that I will be using all summer to upload content that I write onto the website for FOX29, and I learned how to cut video and edit pictures for that as well. As the days go by, I am getting more and more confident in my writing – whether it be choosing the right word to create an eye-pleasing headline or styling in general. In addition, I am allowed to dabble into whatever other departments I want, so I plan to get out with some reporters and photogs to see what it’s like to report in a big city like Philly.

I guess it goes without saying that I am falling more and more in love with this city and all the experiences I’m having along the way. What makes the deal even sweeter is that I am getting to meet new people- but I get to reconnect with friends too.

Alexis & I at lunch.
My good friend Alexis (haven't seen her in 4 years!) is also interning in the city, and we had a fun dinner together at the train station the first time we met up on Tuesday night after work. It was great. We also met up again on Saturday and spent the whole day exploring the shops and restaurants along Chestnut Street. We browsed in lots of great places, but we chose to splurge on a delicious pizza lunch (where we sat outside and got to people watch-perfection) and then gelato across the street. If you know me at all, you are aware that Nutella is probably the one food item (besides rack of lamb, HA) that I really can’t go without for too long. The people in Philly are clearly on the same page as me, because they had Nutella-flavored gelato. Naturally, I hyperventilated at the sight and then ordered after calming down. It was beauteous.
This is what heaven looks like.
But, the best part is getting to spend time in such a great city with a great friend. We had a blast.
After that, we boarded our respective trains and headed home. I was impressed with myself, because I finally didn’t need my GPS to get me back to woodland wonderland that is my aunt and uncle’s house. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I learned (finally) to back up my car into the spot that they need me to park in, so snaps for me on that too.

So far, this has been just amazing. I get to do what I love every day, and spend my time with people who I’m sure I’ll never forget. My aunt and uncle are the best “roomies” ever, and their dog, Juno has finally accepted that I’m staying for the long haul- and we are quickly becoming best buds. 

I guess you could say that I’m a Philly cheesesteak full of happy emotions right now, and I think I can only go up from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment