Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Breaking News and Bonding Time


I would first like to apologize for not posting on my usual Sunday night- I must be too busy drying myself off. Pennsylvania is actually experiencing a monsoon of sorts, and really, it could stop at any time. 

Now that you know the conditions I’m workin’ with, let’s get back to the past week.

Last Monday I went out with a reporter, and we covered a barricaded fire, and then we went out to a school that’s deciding to cut back due to projected financial instability. There was a press conference (we call those “pressers” in the news biz) and then we interviewed people that go to the school, and those who graduated from the school. I stayed out with her and the funny and sarcastic photog until her live shot for the 6 p.m. broadcast. I had been waiting for the chance to go out with a reporter, so it was definitely a great kick-off. It was a fun experience.

Perhaps the biggest, most exciting part of last week was Wednesday. Now, before you call me heartless, you have to understand that breaking news is thrilling for journalists- no matter how terrible. We received word that a building had collapsed on Market Street (aka the street I work on) and that there was mass chaos. Quickly, everyone scattered and went back to their desks to get going. The anchors raced to the studio, as they prepared to go on the air live-with little to no information regarding the collapse. Reporters raced out the door and to the scene where they quickly perched and provided on-the-ground coverage by the minute.

I was responsible for getting interviews and other pieces on the web quickly, and updating stories as people were being removed from the rubble, and rescue workers struggled to remove debris and help in any way they could. I have to say, the whole experience was such a rush. Everyone put in such a collaborative effort to have the best possible coverage. I think we did. But, we all have a human side too- we watched in horror from the newsroom as people were being removed from the remnants of the building. It is heartbreaking for us too, and we are the ones who have to ask the difficult questions viewers want to know the answer to- at the worst possible time. This is just a great example of how much a journalist needs to lead with their “human foot.”

The rest of the week went by quick, as we covered the various news conferences that happened in order to brief everyone on the investigation. Another week gone by in a flash.

Finally, Saturday rolled around, and not only did I enjoy a nice 9:30 a.m. wake-up time, (much nicer than 4:45 during the week) but I had plans for the day! My friend who’s also an intern at FOX29, Kari, and I made plans to explore the city for the day together. So, we started the day by window-


Front of the building,  built in 2010

My Wristband!
Social Media Wall-So Cool!
shopping our way down to the American Jewish History Museum. All I have to say is WOW. Such an amazing place to go, and I don’t care if you’re Jewish- you’ll still appreciate it. I learned so much about Jewish history, and even told Kari a few cool facts that stuck with me from all those years of Hebrew schoolin’. It was awesome!

We were hungry after that, so we decided to head out on a search for a place to grab a snack and people-watch. Boy, did we find a perfect spot. Located right across the street from Tiffany’s is Le Pain Quotidien, which is an adorable bakery and restaurant. We picked a cute little outside table- it was beautiful out. Being that we are getting ourselves into a business that deals with people every day, Kari and I quickly chatted with the waiter and got the reader’s digest version of his life story while we ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the menu. We decided to get personal pots of coffee, and to split a chocolate croissant and a huge chocolate chip cookie. Heaven.
Quickly, we realized that we’d be frequent visitors to this spot.

Adorable, No?
After that, we headed to her apartment where I met her sweet roommate and we all sat around, talked like we’ve known each other forever. It was great. As you know, when girls get talking, it’s hard to stop. By the time we took a breather, we were hungry again, and Kari cooked us grilled caprese (tomato, mozzarella, basil) sandwiches on yummy Italian bread. Yup, the carb intake was definitely maxed out, but who really cares.

The meal ended, and I went to get on my train to go home. Well, the relaxing 8 p.m. train was not in the cards that night- instead it was full of drunk kids that looked like they were about 13 years old. Fun, fun, fun. Not that it wasn’t entertaining, I was just a little fried, and a little too full to function properly. But, hey, what’s life without crazy people on the train?

Sunday was a more low-key day, my Uncle and I took Juno to the trail to go swimming and we got a nice long walk out of it. He’s quickly becoming me therapist, as he suddenly has to listen to me vent about whatever comes to my mind- sorry! But, he’s doing a fabulous job, and always plays devil’s advocate, so I really am thinking critically. Cool.

Doing that News Thing
Since I procrastinated with this post, you also get to hear about Monday- lucky you!
I got myself out with another reporter again, and this time it was a guy named Bruce. That name holds a special place, being that it’s also my dad’s name. Bruce (reporter Bruce that is) was awesome, and he was full of advice and information throughout the day I was out with him. It was such a fun experience. Needless to say, I’m still loving FOX29. I can’t believe at the end of this week I’ll be done with a month of my internship. When did that happen?

Throughout my experiences so far, I’ve been feeling so lucky to have this opportunity. I know I always sound cheesy at this part, but hey you would be too. Who doesn’t want the chance to explore a new city and do something that will most likely advance their career? I still pinch myself sometimes. It nuts.

Much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment